Johnny Devine PA | Attorney | Personal Injury | Criminal Defense | Landlord-Tenant Law

Auto Accidents

“I’ve been hurt in an auto accident, what should I do ?”

When you’ve been hurt in an automobile accident due to another driver’s negligence, it’s time to call your attorney . . . Johnny Devine.

Auto accidents – whether as a driver or passenger – happen everyday. You can be a safe driver, wear your seatbelt, and obey traffic lights and signs; but unfortunately, another negligent or inadvertent driver can still cause an accident and injure you.

If you’ve been injured in an automobile accident, it can be an overwhelming experience. You may find yourself dealing with many things — like injuries, medical facilities, insurance companies, medical bills, lost time and pay from work, or maybe even an uninsured driver. Even when there is insurance coverage, often insurance companies fight against you in your claim.

If you’ve been injured in an auto accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation for areas of your life that have been negatively affected by the injury, such as: medical bills, prescriptions, future medical expenses, pain and suffering as well as future pain and suffering, permanent impairment or disability, rehabilitation, chiropractic care, physical therapy, suffered psychological effects such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), loss of income, and loss of earning capacity, to name just a few.

During this critical time, it is important to have an experienced attorney on your side, protecting your rights, and fighting for every dollar of monetary compensation to which you are entitled! Johnny Devine has extensive experience in auto injury cases in Florida.

Here is some important information and helpful suggestions in case you are injured in an automobile accident:

  • If you have been injured, call 911 or immediately seek medical treatment
  • Report the accident to law enforcement
  • Get the other driver’s information: name, address, phone numbers, driver’s license number, insurance company and policy number, and vehicle information
  • Get witness information: names, addresses, phone numbers
  • Use your camera phone to take pictures of your injuries, damage to your vehicle, damage to the other vehicle, and the scene of the accident.
  • Florida is a “no-fault” state. Basically, this means those injured in an auto accident may use the Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage provided through their own auto insurance company to pay medical bills. Your auto insurance provides PIP to pay 80% of your medical costs and 60% of lost wages, up to a maximum payout of $10,000. Also, any medical payments made under your PIP coverage do not have to be repaid if you receive a settlement in your personal injury case (whereas health insurance payments may be required to be repaid out of a settlement). Under Florida law, you must use your PIP coverage before you may use your personal health insurance.
  • So, when treating at any medical facility, make certain to inform them you were injured in an auto accident and give them your vehicle insurance card.
  • NOTE: Florida enacted strict PIP laws which require injured persons to seek medical treatment within 14 days from the date of the auto accident. Any delays in seeking medical care from insurance-specified licensed medical physicians (i.e. hospital or emergency room physicians, primary care physicians, etc.) can reduce an injured person’s PIP benefits to zero dollars.
  • IMPORTANT: Consult with Johnny Devine, P.A. before discussing your case with insurance company representatives or investigators.

Remember: whether it’s the driver that hit you or an insurance company, you can tell them to call your attorney . . . Johnny Devine!